Tom Newmeyer is one of the founding partners of Newmeyer Dillion, and takes great pride in the firm’s entrepreneurial spirit. Starting in 1984 on a shoestring budget with just three attorneys in Newport Beach, the firm has grown to over 70 lawyers with additional offices in Walnut Creek, California and Las Vegas, Nevada. Tom believes that business side of establishing and growing a law firm has given him, and the other lawyers at the firm, a special ability relate to business clients and understand their needs. As an entrepreneur, Tom understands that the needs of the client come first. You cannot grow unless your existing clients stay with you and they will only do so if you give them greater service than they expect.
Tom has represented entrepreneurs, partnerships and corporations, large and small, in all areas of business litigation, including unfair competition, trade secrets, contract disputes, corporate and partnership dissolutions, trusts and estates, and labor and employment. He has extensive experience in representing clients in diverse areas including “green” technologies, subprime mortgages, internet and computer software, as well as real estate. Tom successfully defended a real estate developer in a $130,000,000 trial and a hybrid car manufacture in a “bet the company” arbitration.
His most recent cases have involved claims of securities violations against real estate investment pools, dissolution of a corporation providing specialty financing to niche markets, and prosecuting fraud claims against an international bank.
Tom has had an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell (the highest such rating) for over 25 years. He has been recognized as one of the best lawyers in the national Best Lawyers in America peer review publication. He is consistently recognized by Super Lawyers, including being named to its list of the Top 50 Orange County Lawyers several times over several years and as one of the nation’s top lawyers in its national Corporate Counsel edition.
Awards & Recognition
- Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers list, 2005-2019
- Selected to Super Lawyers list of California Top 50 Orange County Lawyers, 2008, 2010 & 2012
- AV® Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Selected to the Orange County Best Lawyers list, Real Estate and Commercial Litigation, 2010-2020
- Orange County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- California, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (cum laude, J.D., 1978)
- Member of the St. Thomas More Law Honor Society
- Note and Comment Editor of the Loyola Law Review
- Scott Moot Court competition winner
- San Diego State University (B.S., 1975)