Success on the field requires the support of a talented professional sports team, just as success off the field requires a talented professional business and legal team. Newmeyer Dillion attorneys represent professional athletes as outside general counsel, contract negotiators, litigators and trusted advisors. Our clients know they can rely on us to provide thorough analysis of complex business and legal agreements and break down the deal points and risk arears in a detailed reports.
Our approach with each professional athlete is to create a long term relationship that is based on trust professionalism. We represent athletes in all stages of their career, whether it be navigating the draft, transition from farm league to major league, or preparing for an athlete’s post-playing career. Our attorneys are here to help our athletes accomplish their business and professional goals. Our representation experience includes:
- Successfully negotiated settlement in client’s favor for unlawful continued use of professional athletes name and likeness on endorsement campaign after term of agreement expired;
- Negotiated equity incentives in endorsement agreements for over a dozen early stage start-ups;
- Negotiated equity incentives in exchange for restaurant lease guaranty and endorsement;
- Negotiated lease space in Warriors’ new Chase Stadium for start-up restaurant professional athlete invested in and endorsed;
- Negotiated dozens of appearance fee agreements and endorsement agreements throughout the United States.
Our attorneys are advocates for the arts in a variety of ways - as a Berklee College of Music alum, an advisory board member at the Geffen Playhouse and artists in their own bands. On the legal side, our attorneys have litigated a wide variety of entertainment disputes and represented talent in structuring and implementing transactions within the entertainment industry. Our representative experience includes:
- Successfully represented talent in complaint for stalking, false light, and public disclosure of private facts.
- Successfully represented talent in breach of fiduciary duty action against former agent.
- Negotiated employment agreement for industry executives.
- Negotiated numerous varied agreements for actors, writers, and directors against producers and production.
- Negotiated publishing agreement for authors.
- Negotiated various non-theatrical distribution agreements.
- Successfully voided contract on behalf of talent based on the Miller-Ayala Athlete Agents Act.
- Successfully represented sports agency in conversion and unjust enrichment action against former agent.