Eric Rollins is a partner in the Newport Beach office of Newmeyer Dillion. Eric advises clients in a wide variety of practice areas, including business, real estate, construction, insurance, and entertainment. In his more than ten years at Newmeyer Dillion, Eric has litigated and resolved hundreds of matters in both state and federal court through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and trial. Eric’s philosophy as an attorney is to efficiently achieve exceptional results through hard work, compelling written and oral persuasion, leadership, and professionalism to opposing counsel and parties.
Real Estate, Construction, & Insurance Litigation
In his real estate, construction, and insurance litigation practice, Eric represents numerous publicly-traded real estate developers and contractors in all matters related to their construction business. He has a strong understanding of California’s Right to Repair Act and has successfully resolved hundreds of millions of dollars in complex construction claims. Outside of the courtroom, Eric has been a guest speaker with the Building Industry Association of Southern California and published articles in various trade-related organizations, including the Orange County Business Journal. Eric’s representative experience includes:
- Successfully represented a developer in a construction defect claim seeking nine figures in damages for zero contribution from his client.
- Successfully negotiated a seven figure settlement for a commercial property owner arising out of defective tennis courts.
- Successfully litigated numerous third-party bad faith claims against insurers involving more than forty underlying construction claims.
- Successfully sat first chair in a trial for a developer involving complex novel contractual indemnification issues against multiple defendants and obtained a successful verdict in his client’s favor.
- Successfully defended claims arising out of construction accidents based on the Privette doctrine.
As a graduate of the Berklee College of Music, advisory board member at the Geffen Playhouse, and lover of the arts, Eric also litigates a wide variety of entertainment disputes and helps structure and implement various transactions within the entertainment industry. Eric’s representative experience includes:
- Successfully represented talent in complaint for stalking, false light, and public disclosure of private facts.
- Successfully represented talent in breach of fiduciary duty action against former agent.
- Negotiated numerous employment agreements for industry executives.
- Negotiated numerous varied agreements for actors, writers, and directors against producers and production companies.
- Negotiated publishing agreement for authors.
- Negotiated various non-theatrical distribution agreements for distributors.
- Successfully voided contract with agent on behalf of talent based on the Miller-Ayala Athlete Agents Act.
- Successfully represented talent agency in conversion and unjust enrichment action against former agent.
In his business litigation practice, Eric has litigated a variety of claims involving breach of contract, business torts, and real property torts. Specifically, Eric has represented plaintiffs and defendants in countless breach of contract cases and tort based claims such as fraud, negligent misrepresentation, civil conspiracy, unfair business practices, conversion, negligence, nuisance, and trespass to land. Recent representative experience includes:
- Successfully obtained case dispositive ruling via demurrer in representing an escrow company on a case involving 11 causes of action, including fraud, intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, and unfair business practices.
- Successfully sat first chair in an arbitration involving breach of contract and recovered 100% of the amount of damages in dispute.
- Successfully represented wireless companies in the permitting of wireless telecommunications facilities via petitions for writ of mandate.
- Successfully litigated numerous commercial litigation matters for a Fortune 100 company.
Outside of the office, Eric has been a guest lecturer at USC’s Gould School of Law, is an avid golfer, lover of music as a former Epic Award Scholar at Berklee College of Music, and a fan of all professional sports teams from his hometown of Dallas, Texas.
Awards & Recognition
- Selected to the Rising Star list by Super Lawyers, 2017-2018
- American Jurisprudence Award (highest overall grade in trial advocacy, appellate advocacy, and legal drafting)
- Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review – Editor
- Epic Award Scholar
- Advisory Board Member, Geffen Playhouse
- American Bar Association – Forum on the Entertainment & Sports Industries
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Building Industry Association of Orange County
- California, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D., 2009)
- Berklee College of Music (B.Mus., magna cum laude, 2004)