Louis “Dutch” Schotemeyer is a partner in the Newport Beach office of Newmeyer Dillion. Dutch’s practice concentrates on providing legal advice to companies operating without dedicated in-house legal counsel, as well as within the Real Estate, Construction, and Labor & Employment practices.
Dutch is a seasoned litigator who in addition to the above practices, works on all types of general liability and complex commercial disputes. He leverages his litigation experience to provide clients with front-end legal advice in a myriad of potentially litigious situations, including contract drafting, contract negotiation, employment issues, insurance policy placement, daily operations, and advice to C-Level executives. His experience as a corporate attorney, providing risk management and related advice to a variety of clients including developers, contractors, landlords and other real estate professionals is invaluable to those clients unable to maintain their own in-house legal staff.
Prior to rejoining Newmeyer Dillion, Dutch was Vice President and Associate General Counsel for William Lyon Homes, Inc. and Vice President and Deputy General Counsel for Taylor Morrison. These positions have prepared him to provide advice to companies and serve as a relationship attorney that assists clients in managing legal needs by introducing them to the right legal specialists for a particular issue. As part of this service, Dutch spends a great deal of his practice advising companies on risk management and litigation avoidance strategies.
Awards & Recognition
- 2019 Orange County Business Journal – General Counsel Rising Star
- 2019 William Lyon Homes, Inc. – Above and Beyond the Call of Duty, Corporate Division
- Various military decorations, including Meritorious Service Medal x 5, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal x 3, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, and the Drill Instructor Ribbon
- Named One of Orange County’s 500 Most Influential by Orange County Business Journal
- Orange County Bar Association
- November 10th Association
- California, 2014
- Arizona, 2018
- Washington, 2004
- United States Supreme Court, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- University of Washington School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- Washington State University (B.A., 1995)
- Air University (M.A., 2011)