Meet California's newest initiative which aims to expand on privacy laws and protect California citizens.
What is CCPA?
- Effective January 1, 2020, CCPA is a sweeping privacy overhaul for California residents & businesses
- Gives consumers wide range of new rights - including right to access their personal information (PI), request their PI to be deleted, or opt-out of having their PI sold.
- Requires businesses to comply with consumer requests, & protect consumer PI with "reasonable" security, or face massive fines/penalties.
Who is Impacted?
Any for-profit company, that does business in CA (whether located in CA or not), & meets one of the following criteria:
- Has an annual revenue in excess of $25M;
- Derives 50% or more of its revenue from selling PI of CA residents; or
- Buys, sells, receives or shares for commercial purposes the personal information of 50,000 or more California residents, households, or devices.
How Can We Help?
Newmeyer Dillion's team can guide clients thought the process, including:
- Assist with becoming CCPA compliant, using our 90-Day CCPA Compliance Program.
- Leverage a collaborative, efficient "team approach," with a role for Client, the Firm & a Technical Business Partner
- Develop processes to handle consumer requests, employee training, privacy notices & implementation of appropriate levels of security.
If you feel CCPA compliance is important to your business, and decide to prepare for the CCPA with us, our firm has created a 90-day CCPA compliance program where our team will collaborate with you to determine a scalable, practical, and reasonable way for you to meet your needs, without breaking the bank. Let us provide you a free initial consultation to see if our CCPA compliance program works for you.