Jason’s practice concentrates on the areas of labor and employment law and business litigation. He represents employers in all aspects of employment litigation in defense of complaints for class action, representative PAGA, and single-plaintiff matters, as well as agency hearings, arbitration, and mediation. Jason has handled all aspects of civil litigation defense from case inception through trial.
Jason provides clients with practical advice on a wide range of day-to-day employment law issues, including: implementing effective human resource policies; complying with federal and state laws, such as those relating to wage and hour issues, disability and family/medical leave laws, and the discipline and termination processes; and drafting employment policies and contracts, such as employee handbooks, employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, arbitration agreements, and severance agreements.
Jason defends employers in class, representative, and single-plaintiff actions against claims of discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, retaliation, unfair competition, wage and hour violations, employee misclassification, and violations of the FMLA, CFRA, pregnancy disability leave laws, and sick leave law. Jason’s recent employment litigation matters include:
- Defeated class action claims brought by independent contractors alleging misclassification under Dynamex Operations West, Inc. v. Superior Court (2018) 4 Cal.5th 903.
- Defeated class action claims brought by former employee alleging wage and hour violations, including meal periods, rest periods, overtime, and minimum wage violations.
- Navigated clients through representative PAGA action alleging numerous wage and hour violations and negotiated favorable settlements for clients.
- Defended clients in actions alleging claims for race, sex, and age discrimination, race and sex harassment, hostile work environment, retaliation, unfair competition, and wrongful termination.
Employment Policies & Investigations
Jason advises employers and business owners regarding wage and hour audits, employment contracts, independent contractor agreements, employment policies, and employee handbooks. Jason also conducts and assists with internal investigations and training seminars. Jason’s recent employment policy and investigation matters include:
- Drafted employee handbooks, employment policies, employee agreements, independent contractor agreements, arbitration agreements, and severance agreements.
- Advised employers regarding pregnancy disability leave, medical leaves of absence, disability accommodation, sick leave policies, acquisition of employees, worker classifications, and employee discipline.
- Conducted investigations of claims of disability discrimination, sexual harassment, exposure to infectious disease, and creation of a hostile work environment.
Jason represents business owners, entrepreneurs, and executives in pre-litigation and litigation involving claims of misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract, unfair competition, fraud, interference with economic advantage, and breach of fiduciary duties. Jason’s recent business litigation matters include:
- Prosecuted claims against competitor and former employee for trade secret misappropriation, fraud, and unfair competition.
- Represented start-up and company executive faced with claims of wrongful solicitation of employees, trade secret misappropriation, and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Defended client against claims of fraud, violation of privacy laws, breach of contract, and unfair competition.
Awards & Recognition
- Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- NATO ISAF Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Adjunct Professor, University of Southern California Gould School of Law
- Orange County Bar Association
- California, 2013
- Indiana, 2006
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Navy-Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Marian University (B.A., cum laude, 2003)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Orange County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Orange County Bar Association, Business Litigation Section
- Indiana University Alumni Association, Life Member, Current President
- Orange County Chapter
- November 10th Association, Trustee
- School on Wheels, Volunteer Tutor
- Irvine Korean Cultural Festival, Volunteer
- Honorable Ezra H. Friedlander, Indiana Court of Appeals, 2006-2007