Underscored by over three decades of successful dispute resolution, whether it be through trial, arbitration or mediation, Mike Tenerelli’s practice has focused primarily on complex real estate and business disputes. Based in the Newport Beach office, Mike represents owners, developers, contractors, lenders and other businesses in matters stemming from development matters, lease disputes, contracts, business torts, as well as construction issues.
Mike takes an analytical, yet efficient approach to solving very complex disputes. Understanding disputes can be difficult enough, he focuses on simplifying the complex issues in order for his clients to understand the issues at hand, and make the best decision towards resolution. As a result, many clients seek Mike’s advice and representation in matters that do not involve trial, arbitration or mediation.
In real estate, Mike has represented owners and developers in numerous development issues. He has represented both landlords and tenants in all types of lease disputes related to retail and commercial leases. In addition, Mike has been involved in numerous construction related matters representing owners as well as contractors and sub-contractors.
Mike has maintained an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rate by Martindale-Hubbell for more than 30 years. After starting his career at Allen, Matkins, Leck, Gamble & Mallory, Mike was one of the founders of Dubia, Erickson & Tenerelli, where he practiced for more than 18 years honing and refining his trial and dispute resolution skills, particularly in the areas of real estate and business disputes. Together with Chris Dubia, Mike later joined Dorsey & Whitney, where he was head of the Southern California Office for 5 years prior to joining Newmeyer Dillion.
Mike’s representative experience includes:
- Represented large Orange County property owner in prosecuting lease termination and hazardous waste clean-up claims resulting in recovery in excess of Five Million Dollars.
- Represented General Partner in Dissolution of Real Estate Partnership with real property holdings in excess of $66 Million Dollars.
- Represented Financial Institutions in foreclosure of commercial real estate and breach of guaranty actions.
- Represents various Landlords in commercial tenant disputes.
- Represents several Property Management companies as to various real estate claims/issues.
- Represented large Orange County property owner and developer in prosecution of large scale construction defects claims resulting in recovery over Six Million Dollars.
- Represented General Contractor in arbitration concerning large scale change order claims by subcontractor.
- Represented Crane company with respect to major crane failure in the construction of a concrete tilt-up building.
- Represented large scale investor in fraudulent misrepresentation claim concerning stock purchase resulting in recovery of over Two Million Dollars.
- Represented General Partner in partnership dispute involving more than ten limited partnerships with claims of breach of fiduciary duties and fraud by several limited partners.
- Los Angeles Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Orange County Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D., 1977)
- Loyola Marymount University (B.B.A., 1973)