Joe Ferrentino is a partner in the Newport Beach office. His civil litigation practice encompasses complex actions in the areas of construction, business, real estate, and insurance throughout California.
Joe has been counsel for developers in some of the most complex and publicized construction defect cases in California. He has tried several of these actions and has argued matters before the Court of Appeal.
Joe was responsible for the defense of a builder involved in the Laguna “Niguel Summit” landslide case which resulted in a multi-million dollar settlement. In addition to handling the legal and insurance aspects of the claim, he assisted the client with its media relations on this nationally publicized case.
Along with partner Greg Dillion, Joe tried another publicized landslide case for over five months against the City of Anaheim which resulted in an award of over $10 million in favor of Newmeyer Dillion's client.
In the insurance area, Joe has recovered millions of dollars in defense fees, indemnity and bad faith damages against several of the largest insurance companies in the world.
Joe was selected as the Orange County “Attorney of the Year” in 2013 in the area of real estate by U. S. News and World Report “Best Lawyers in America.” He has been listed in “Best Lawyers” from 2012 through 2017. He has been selected for inclusion in the Rising Stars and Super Lawyers editions of Los Angeles magazine from 2004-2008 and from 2009-2017 respectively. He was also listed as one of the “Top 50 Orange County Super Lawyers” for 2010, 2012, and 2013.
Joe is also a member of the Robert Banyard Inn of Court in addition to lecturing on various matters at national conferences such as those hosted by Mealey’s and West Coast.
Awards & Recognition
- Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers list, 2004-2018
- Selected to the Orange County Best Lawyers list, Real Estate and Construction Law, 2012-2020
- Named Orange County Real Estate Litigation Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers, 2014
- Selected to the Super Lawyers list of California Top 50 Orange County Lawyers, 2010, 2012 & 2013
- AV® Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Richard Banyard Inn of Court
- Orange County Bar Association
- Human Options, Board Director
Charitable & Civic Involvement
Joe is a member of the Board of Directors for Human Options, which is committed to a future in which every person experiences safe, healthy relationships, free from fear.
- California, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D., 1992)
- St. Thomas More Honor Society
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (B.S., 1989)