As the immediate past Managing Partner of the Firm, Jeff understands the challenges facing business leaders on a daily basis. From this context, Jeff assists companies of all sizes in a variety of areas – from privacy and data security, to bet-the-company litigation. When a business faces difficulties, Jeff prides himself on understanding that business priorities often take precedence over legal needs. As such, Jeff collaborates with business leaders to help companies advance past challenging times in an efficient, practical and business-savvy manner.
Privacy and Data Security
Jeff Dennis is the Head of Newmeyer Dillion's Privacy and Data Security practice. As a certified graduate of HarvardX’s Cybersecurity Risk Management program and holder of the esteemed Certified Information Privacy Professional / US Private Sector (CIPP/US) designation, Jeff advises his clients on a multitude of privacy and cybersecurity related issues, including proper preparation, compliance, risk avoidance and breach response – with the goal of advancing his clients’ business interests through the implementation of a strong privacy and data security governance structure. With the firm being a founding partner of UCI’s Cybersecurity Policy & Research Institute, Jeff is an active participant in presenting legal insight and developments. Jeff is an experienced speaker, having presented numerous times on privacy and cybersecurity issues for companies and organizations in varied industries. Jeff’s thought leadership in the global privacy and data security space has been further demonstrated in numerous radio interviews, as well as the dozens of articles he has authored.
As part of his litigation practice, Jeff has represented several Fortune 500 companies in various areas including complex litigation, construction claims, and insurance disputes. He has tried multiple cases to verdict, and has negotiated settlements for his clients, which have a cumulative value in excess of $100 million.
He has represented developers and businesses in all aspects of complex litigation matters and handles the insurance coverage issues that arise out of construction claims. Jeff also has experience in business litigation matters involving lease disputes, partnership disputes, employment, breach of contract, negligence and premises liability claims.
Jeff believes that community participation is a vital part of his law practice. As such, he volunteered to serve in the Orange County District Attorney’s selective Trial Advocacy Partnership (TAP) program. He is a past president of the Occidental College Board of Governors and once led Occidental’s local Alumni Association as its Orange County Regional Chair. He has also served on the Executive Leadership Team for the American Heart Association’s Orange County Heart Walk. Under Jeff’s leadership, the firm proudly supported the OC Heart Walk, with over 200 participants joining Team ND in the 2014 walk. In addition, the firm also hosted a National Eating Healthy Day celebration for executives in Orange County to benefit the AHA.
Awards & Recognition
- University of Southern California School of Law, Honors Moot Court Participant
- Selected to the Southern California Rising Star list by Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2011
- Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyer list by Super Lawyers, 2013 – 2018
- Selected to the The Best Lawyers in America© list by Best Lawyers® 2016– 2020
- Selected to the OC500 by Orange County Business Journal, 2016
- Orange County Bar Association
- Building Industry Association of Orange County and San Diego County
- Associated General Contractors of California
- American Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Occidental College (B.A., 1994)
- California, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California