Ben Ammerman is an experienced trial lawyer and problem solver, advising companies, business owners, and individuals on complex business and real estate disputes. Ben’s diverse clients operate across a wide variety of economic sectors, including technology, real estate, financial services, entertainment, health care, technology, financial services and homebuilding.
Ben’s philosophy is to achieve outstanding results for his clients through hard work, exceptional preparation, creative problem solving, leadership, and maintaining rapport with opposing counsel and parties. Ben obtains outstanding results by identifying the client’s objectives, analyzing the situation, understanding the facts, identifying different favorable outcomes, and creating a litigation strategy that can result in multiple different favorable outcomes for his client.
Ben endeavors to obtain cost-effective outcomes by resolving disputes early though professional interactions to build rapport with adversaries. If early resolution is unsuccessful, Ben is known for an aggressive litigation style predicated on being two steps ahead of his adversary through tireless preparation.
Ben has obtained favorable judgments at trial, including jury verdicts up to seven figures, defeated seven figure claims at both summary judgment and trial, and successfully preserved judgments for his clients on appeal.
Ben’s diverse experience includes:
- Prosecuted securities fraud claims involving misrepresentations regarding the quality of the assets underlying the securities resulting in seven figure settlement for the client;
- Represented publicly traded company in commercial lease dispute with landlord settling the matter for pennies on the dollar;
- Defended multiple sellers of real estate in connection with breach of contract and non-disclosure claims settling matters for nominal sums;
- Defended commercial landlord in premises liability action and obtaining plaintiff’s dismissal of client in exchange for waiver of costs after taking plaintiff’s deposition;
- Prosecuted and defended trade secret, defamation and business tort claims on behalf of individuals and closely held companies;
- Defended publicly traded companies in consumer and ADA class action lawsuits;
- Prosecuted and defended individuals and companies in partnership disputes and breach of contract claims;
- Defended publicly traded companies in copyright and trademark infringement actions; and
- Advising business clients regarding best practices in the field of privacy and cyberspace law.
Awards & Recognition
- Named to the 2013, 2014, and 2015 roster of Southern California Rising Stars, a compilation of the area’s up-and-coming attorneys by the Law & Politics magazine, Super Lawyers®.
- Recipient of the Owen Stark Heriot Award for the outstanding scholastic performance by a veteran or current member of the Armed Forces in law school.
- American Jurisprudence Award (highest overall grade) in Constitutional Law, Remedies, and Evidence.
- Inducted into Skull and Dagger, a secret honor society at the University of Southern California. Induction into Skull and Dagger is bestowed on less than 1% of the student population annually.
- Orange County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Commander, Judge Advocate General’s Corps, U.S. Navy Reserve
- Co-Chair, University of Southern California’s 20th Reunion Committee
- Member, University of Southern California Alumni Association
- California, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2010
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2005)
- Order of the Coif
- University of Southern California (B.A., with honors, 1997)
- Political Science