Bahaar Cadambi is a partner in the Newport Beach office of Newmeyer Dillion. Her practice focuses on business, insurance, and real estate litigation. Bahaar represents businesses, homebuilders, developers, and general contractors in complex, multi-party real estate, construction defect, and insurance disputes. She also represents individuals and businesses across a variety of business litigation matters.
Bahaar takes a global approach to problem solving, offering her clients a range of strategic solutions to meet not only their immediate goals, but also their goals for long-term success. Her approach to litigation ensures that clients are informed of all potential strategies, the consequences of those strategies, and how the implementation of those strategies will affect their business.
When litigation becomes necessary to make wrongs right, Bahaar has advocated on behalf of her clients across industries. She has counseled, prosecuted, and defended business disputes related to breach of contract, misrepresentation, negligence, and fraud. Her representative experience includes:
- Won Bench Trial in Breach of Contract Case. Court granted former tenant in a commercial lease return of full lease deposit wrongfully withheld, interest, attorneys’ fees, and costs.
- Successfully Negotiated Distribution of Assets Withheld by Limited Liability Company after Dissolution. Represented minority owners in recovering share of assets wrongfully withheld by majority owner after dissolution of limited liability company shortly after filing complaint on behalf of minority owners.
- Achieved Withdrawal of Falsified Stake in Intellectual Property. Former partner withdrew falsified claim in intellectual property of partnership upon discovery and verification of forged documents.
Bahaar works on behalf of her clients to keep insurance companies accountable. She meticulously reviews and analyzes insurance policies and advocates for her clients to ensure that they receive the coverage they were promised. Her representative experience advocating for coverage includes:
- Obtained Full Recovery of Defense and Indemnity from Direct Carrier after Wrongful Denial of Coverage. Advocated on behalf of merchant builder in obtaining full coverage in a multi-faceted real estate action where carrier initially refused to defend and indemnify merchant builder, resulting in recovery of hundreds of thousands of dollars for developer.
- Achieved Full Defense and Indemnity of Construction Defect Action Through Coverage as an Additional Insured. Represented general contractor in obtaining full defense and indemnity of construction defect action as an additional insured under policies issued to general contractor’s subcontractors.
- Recovered Full Indemnity in Multi-Million Dollar Claim Asserted against Developer after Direct Insurer and Additional Insurers Wrongfully Denied Coverage. Direct insurer and additional insurers withdrew wrongful denial of coverage of multi-million dollar claim asserted by homeowner’s association against residential developer, resulting in no out of pocket expense to developer.
Real Estate & Construction Litigation
In her real estate and construction litigation practice, Bahaar represents numerous publicly traded homebuilders, developers, and general contractors in court, arbitration, judicial reference, and mediation. With extensive knowledge of California’s Right to Repair Act, she has successfully resolved millions of dollars in complex construction claims. Her representative experience includes:
- Summarily Dismissed on Demurrer Multi-Million Dollar Commercial Construction Action. Court granted demurrer of commercial developer in a construction injury dispute, resulting in dismissal of action against commercial developer.
- Negotiated a Win-Win Solution to a Property Line Dispute. Represented a commercial property owner in a property line dispute with neighboring commercial property, resulting in a favorable settlement for both owners.
- Successfully Mediated Multi-Million Construction Defect Dispute Before Filing of Complaint against Developer. Homeowner’s association agreed to drop significant construction defect claim during pre-litigation procedures of the Right to Repair Act, resulting in favorable settlement at mediation.
Outside of the office, Bahaar is an adjunct professor at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law, Barry’s Bootcamp and yoga enthusiast, lover of all things interior design, avid traveler, devoted wife, and favorite aunt to two nieces and one nephew.
Awards & Recognition
- Witkin and CALI Awards in Pretrial Practice and Legal Writing & Research
- Best Moot Court Oral Argument Award
- Recipient of Roger J. Traynor Student Writing Competition Award
- Orange County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Commercial Real Estate Women-Orange County
- California, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2014
- University of California, Hastings College of Law (J.D., 2010)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., 2007)