Amtoj Randhawa is an associate in the Newport Beach, California office. His practice focuses on complex business, commercial, and real estate litigation and cybersecurity and privacy law. He represents various business entities and individuals, both as plaintiffs and defendants, in a wide array of commercial disputes involving breaches of contract, torts (e.g. fraud, conversion, negligence, products liability, premises liability, etc.), contract interpretation, breaches of fiduciary duty, partnership disputes, and other related causes of action in California and Nevada state and federal courts. With respect to cybersecurity and privacy issues, Amtoj helps clients navigate the legal dispute implications of cybersecurity and advises businesses on implementing and adopting proactive measures to prevent and neutralize threats.
Amtoj has litigated a variety of business-related claims for his clients in both state and federal court. In doing so, Amtoj has served as second-chair in multiple trials and has obtained numerous favorable awards, judgments, and case dispositive rulings and/or resolutions for his clients. Some of his recent representative experience includes the following:
- Second chaired and successfully litigated 11 U.S.C. § 523 claims on behalf of multiple, unsecured creditors in a three-day bench trial in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California.
- Second chaired and successfully defended a Fortune 5 corporation in a multi-million dollar civil trial in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California ultimately resulting in the jury awarding plaintiff 0.6% of the damages alleged and less than the client’s pre-trial offer of judgment.
- Defended multiple accredited investors in a breach of contract, fraud, conversion, and tortious interference with contractual relations action involving over $5 million in damages.
- Represented a national home improvement retailer in a products liability action and successfully obtained a complete defense award including an award for attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented a business entity in enforcing a $200,000 judgment against multiple debtors through the strategic use of judgment debtor exams, levying officers, and involuntary bankruptcy proceedings.
- Pursued multiple, national insurers for complete defense and indemnity under additional insured endorsements for national, residential developers in various construction defect related actions.
- Litigated bad faith, wrongful denial, and breach of contract claim against several, national insurance companies based on the companies’ pattern and practice of wrongfully denying coverage.
Real Estate Litigation
In addition to his business litigation practice, Amtoj has assisted business entities and individuals in various real estate related actions. Some of his recent representative experience includes the following:
- Represented a large Los Angeles entertainment venue in an inverse condemnation, nuisance, and 42 U.S.C. §§ 1983, 1985, and 1986 action against the City of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Police Department.
- Represented multiple clients in an action against an HOA ultimately precluding the HOA from collecting a $25,000 past due balance.
- Defended multiple, national, residential developers in various construction defect actions ultimately resulting in the client paying zero dollars towards attorney’s fees, costs, and/or settlement monies.
- Represented various business entities in an action involving the American with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and California Unruh Civil Rights Act and successfully obtained involuntary dismissals.
- Represented multiple Fortune 100 companies in various negligence, premises liability, products liability, and false imprisonment actions.
Outside of the office, Amtoj enjoys spending his free time traveling, hiking, golfing, and being outdoors.
- Orange County Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers.
- California, 2014
- Nevada, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of California
- University of California, Hastings College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
- Concentration in business, corporate, and intellectual property law
- University of California, San Diego (2010)
- B.S. in Economics: Management Science
- B.A. in Psychology