Amtoj Randhawa is an associate in the Newport Beach, California office. His practice focuses on complex business, commercial, and real estate litigation; insurance; bankruptcy; and cybersecurity and privacy law. He represents various business entities and individuals, both as plaintiffs and defendants, in a wide array of commercial disputes (e.g. breach of contract, products liability, premises liability, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, etc.) in California and Nevada state and federal courts. As a CIPP/US and Harvard-certified cyber risk management professional, Amtoj also counsels clients regarding data breach response, cyber incident response planning, and best privacy business practices.
Amtoj has litigated a variety of business-related claims for his clients in state and federal courts throughout California and Nevada. In doing so, Amtoj has served as second-chair in multiple trials and obtained numerous favorable awards, judgments, and case dispositive rulings for his clients. Some of his recent representative experience includes the following:
- Second chaired and successfully defended a Fortune 5 corporation in a multi-million dollar civil trial in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California ultimately resulting in the jury awarding plaintiff less than the client’s pre-trial offer of judgment.
- Defended multiple accredited investors in a breach of contract, fraud, conversion, and tortious interference with contractual relations action involving over $5 million in damages.
- Represented multiple Fortune 100 companies in various premises liability, products liability, and related tort actions.
- Successfully argued the application of the Privette doctrine to obtain a complete dismissal for a residential developer in a high-stakes negligence action.
Real Estate Litigation
In addition to his business litigation practice, Amtoj has assisted clients in various real estate related actions. Some of his recent representative experience includes the following:
- Represented a large Los Angeles entertainment venue in an inverse condemnation, nuisance, and 42 U.S.C. §§ 1983, 1985, and 1986 action against the City of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Police Department.
- Defended multiple, national, residential developers in various construction defect actions ultimately resulting in the client paying zero dollars towards attorney’s fees, costs, and/or settlement monies.
- Obtained involuntary dismissals for business entities in actions involving the American with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and California Unruh Civil Rights Act.
- Obtained a complete dismissal for a national residential developer in a multi-million dollar wrongful death and premises liability action.
Amtoj also assists businesses and individuals, as both named and additional insureds, in obtaining insurance coverage and challenging wrongful denials. Some of his recent representative experience includes the following:
- Pursued multiple, national insurers for complete defense and indemnity under additional insured endorsements for national, residential developers in various construction defect related actions.
- Litigated bad faith, wrongful denial, and breach of contract claim against several, national insurance companies based on the companies’ pattern and practice of wrongfully denying coverage.
In the context of bankruptcy, Amtoj utilizes his litigation skillset to assist creditors in commencing involuntary bankruptcy proceedings and contesting the dischargeability of debt under 11 U.S.C. § 523. Some of his recent representative experience includes the following:
- Second chaired and successfully litigated 11 U.S.C. § 523 claims on behalf of multiple, unsecured creditors in a three-day bench trial in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California.
- Represented a business entity in enforcing a $200,000 judgment against multiple debtors through the strategic use of judgment debtor exams, levying officers, and involuntary bankruptcy proceedings.
Cybersecurity, Privacy & Data Security
As a Harvard-certified cyber risk management professional and a holder of the esteemed Certified Information Privacy Professional / US Private Sector (CIPP/US) designation, Amtoj counsels businesses of all sizes regarding data breach response, cyber incident response planning, and best privacy business practices.
- American Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Orange County Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of California
- University of California, Hastings College of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Concentration in business, corporate, and intellectual property law
- University of California, San Diego
- B.S. in Economics: Management Science
- B.A. in Psychology
- Certified Information Privacy Professional / United States (CIPP/US)
- Cybersecurity Certification: Managing Risk in the Information Age (Harvard University, 2020)